Um, Yea...hi...

For the first time in a long time I realized I don't like my job.  Maybe that's not true either, but I know when I have to go into the "office" and sit at an archaic computer with non stop pop ups, the inability to print (they set it up to print and now the printer doesn't work...who knows), and the perceived disdain of fellow teachers, it makes it difficult.
That's not even considering the *constant commotion.  It's not stop people and students going in and out of the room, slamming doors, leaving doors open in the winter, opening windows and turning off A.C. in the summer...it's incredible.
I realize that I am smack dab in the center of a middle school, and it is expected to be different than an American school due to it being in Korea, but it is also vastly different than the previous high school I was placed in here in Korea.  Maybe they're all like this - I just don't know.  My elementary schools seem a *little more reserved.  Nam-Cho especially...but maybe that's because there are so few students.
I now think that at orientation, when the lady at the head of the Office of Education mentioned to everyone that you should "approach this as your first time in Korea", that she was specifically talking to me, knowing that I would be facing these kinds of challenges.  I try not to compare, because I realize it was a different province, different age groups, different city / village / dynamic, etc, but it goes beyond just that whole thing.  The students are actually the best part of the job.  They typically work when asked (or prodded, some of them), and they are most usually fun to be around, even in between classes.  It's most commonly the staff that makes me feel on the outs.  Who knows, maybe they're just busy.

Today I asked a teacher across from me what a student's name was.  The student had written their name on a quiz and I could make out the family name, Choi, but the other 2 parts were a mystery.  Without looking at me she said very quietly, "Dae Seong".
I said, "Dae Seong?"
She ignored me.

Other instance: my computer wasn't set up to print, and I told my co-teacher that it would be silly for me to have to find people to give them files on USBs or whatnot to print when I need.  She insisted it was the way.  It only took 3 weeks of me asking her to print things on Friday mornings before she made them make it so I could print from my computer.  Of course, I tried printing my first job, it printed the first 7 sheets, completed the job, and then doesn't work anymore after that.

I really like my elementary school co-teacher.  He and his family have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome and have said they worry about me being alone.  I don't mind being alone as long as I am not feeling like I am being given the high hat.  It's about....ethics...


On a lighter note, I went back to Jirisan and completed the Nogodan trail.  I feel pretty good about climbing the second highest mountain in Korea, on one of the more difficult trails, with a 35 pound camera backpack, a big bottle of water in one hand, and a small backpack with snacks and a change of clothes in my other hand, all at the age of 48 and being out of shape.  And I did it in about 5 hours.  The recommended time (or the posted time they feel it will be finished in) is 4 hours and 20 minutes.  So that's ok...I feel good about it.  And I am not sore.  I was tired, but not sore.  Except for leg cramps that night.  Holy schnikies.









Alright.  I gotta go feed.
Aloha.



Comments

Popular Posts