Progress
The new year has begun. I am once again working on many fronts, both teaching and learning, (explicitly), and all the while still wondering if I am capable. I wish I knew how people kept it together in that regard.
Without calling people out, I can only refer to someone I saw teaching recently. They, while teaching in their realm of expertise, called something one thing when it wasn't that at all, and it made me wonder how the hell they could possibly be teaching what they were teaching - had they not gone to school in the subject.
Yet I know I have made simple fundamental mistakes like this as well (maybe that's why I feel so bad about it) so I can't be too hard on them (so why am I so hard on myself).
I distinctly remember when I was a kid in a 1st grade classroom, and the teacher put a transparency up on the screen and it was a lake with an island labeled on it. When prompted, all the students said 'eyeland', while I foolishly said, 'is-land'. I can't believe anyone heard me, thank god, because I never received the unending ribbing that would have likely accompanied such a mistake.
I also remember teaching in Korea and having used the wrong form of 'it's', the contraction in place of the possessive, 'its', I foolishly gave a student the wrong information. I am certain he thought, "This yankee jackass doesn't know what he is talking about." I should have immediately corrected myself but was too caught up in the whatever.
I just wish I could turn down the sensitivity in my mind. The filter is far to open and its aperture is taking in way too much.
Oh well. FIGHTING!
Without calling people out, I can only refer to someone I saw teaching recently. They, while teaching in their realm of expertise, called something one thing when it wasn't that at all, and it made me wonder how the hell they could possibly be teaching what they were teaching - had they not gone to school in the subject.
Yet I know I have made simple fundamental mistakes like this as well (maybe that's why I feel so bad about it) so I can't be too hard on them (so why am I so hard on myself).
I distinctly remember when I was a kid in a 1st grade classroom, and the teacher put a transparency up on the screen and it was a lake with an island labeled on it. When prompted, all the students said 'eyeland', while I foolishly said, 'is-land'. I can't believe anyone heard me, thank god, because I never received the unending ribbing that would have likely accompanied such a mistake.
I also remember teaching in Korea and having used the wrong form of 'it's', the contraction in place of the possessive, 'its', I foolishly gave a student the wrong information. I am certain he thought, "This yankee jackass doesn't know what he is talking about." I should have immediately corrected myself but was too caught up in the whatever.
I just wish I could turn down the sensitivity in my mind. The filter is far to open and its aperture is taking in way too much.
Oh well. FIGHTING!
Comments
Post a Comment