Allegiance

Why do I always end up having this odd sense of allegiance to places I work or people I meet.  Even if I am not particularly happy with things, it's almost like I feel I owe them something more for giving me an opportunity.

Jobs especially, but I think back to Imja.  I loved the students, and generally speaking, the schools (some more than others), and the island had a certain amount of charm, but the year I spent there was very difficult.  So many odd things happened, maybe culminating with the shooting of the dogs outside my door.  And yet I seriously contemplated staying.

And so here I sit, in Willmar, thinking the same thing.  No dogs were shot here, but there's nothing particular engaging about this place.  And yet as I begin thinking about moving on and wondering what is what, my principal makes noises about me staying next year and yada yada yada.

I just don't know.

Comments

Popular Posts