Learning is Dead.
I am somewhat shocked at the attitude of my Chinese students.
They don't give a shit.
I understand. School is boring sometimes.
But they really don't give a shit. Almost across the board.
Tell them to put their phones away and that I don't want to see them, and within a minute, they have them again. The Chinese teacher said that they aren't allowed to have them, yet they're all plugged into the walls charging all day long, even with the Chinese teachers.
I suppose they are being forced to learn it, so they don't give a shit figuring they're not going to use it. That's okay, too. But respect? Non-existent. The chatter, the tardiness, the absences, all of it. It's days filling time and stopping to put out fires. Every day, all day.
Even if they slept, that would be okay, for the one or two students that might still have a smidgen of interest or civility left. But it's rare. And it makes teaching zero fun. I have to travel an hour each way in a packed bus or subway to be ignored. Even when I made it games day to practice some of the things we learned, massive amounts of my students just didn't give a shit.
I really don't get it.
Learning is dead.
I'm bummed for you, that they don't give a shit! Glad that you still do, keep your chin up and keep plugin away. The adventures your having - taking wonderful pictures and seeing the sites is fabulous memory making times.
ReplyDeleteTake care of you!
Vickster
Thanks, V. It's good to know I am not screaming into the void.
Delete