Interview
Lots of interviews coming up in the next week.
I have a chance to move back home and work in a few solid districts.
As is with anything teaching, there will be some challenges, but this job has been eye opening.
I think the simplest way to illustrate the frustrations is this:
In the 10 months that I have been here in Beijing working at this school, not once has the school introduced me or the other foreign teachers to the rest of the staff. None of us, other than Mitchell who has been here for 3 years, knows any of the other staff. And yet I just heard they complained about us not 'communicating' with them. I DON'T KNOW WHO THEY ARE OR WHERE THEY ARE!
When I worked in Chaoyang it was the same thing. Only when I had some trouble with a class and asked for assistance did the main teacher show up and help. And she was a blessing. But even then, I didn't find out until well after that she was the Art teacher, not an English teacher.
I think Beijing (and China) would be a cool place to visit, but living here has a lot of really odd challenges, challenges that Korea never had. Adjusting to Korea was easy, here, not so much.
I have a chance to move back home and work in a few solid districts.
As is with anything teaching, there will be some challenges, but this job has been eye opening.
I think the simplest way to illustrate the frustrations is this:
In the 10 months that I have been here in Beijing working at this school, not once has the school introduced me or the other foreign teachers to the rest of the staff. None of us, other than Mitchell who has been here for 3 years, knows any of the other staff. And yet I just heard they complained about us not 'communicating' with them. I DON'T KNOW WHO THEY ARE OR WHERE THEY ARE!
When I worked in Chaoyang it was the same thing. Only when I had some trouble with a class and asked for assistance did the main teacher show up and help. And she was a blessing. But even then, I didn't find out until well after that she was the Art teacher, not an English teacher.
I think Beijing (and China) would be a cool place to visit, but living here has a lot of really odd challenges, challenges that Korea never had. Adjusting to Korea was easy, here, not so much.
Comments
Post a Comment