My Liberation Notes

I am unsure why I am even saying this here, but I am currently watching a Korean tv show that aired, I think, in 2022.  It's the most soul stripping thing I've ever seen.  I would imagine most people would find it morose, dismal, and depressing, and to be sure - it is.  Yet I can't help but have this kindred feeling to nearly all of it.  I feel like if it were laid bare without names, faces, and specifics, it would be my life played out on screen.  Many of the characters wallow in hells of their own making.  They are in want of better, yet they step on themselves as they make the choices they do.  They over think things when they should just do.  Perhaps that is the 'soap' nature of the show, because K-dramas can drop that in spades, but this is something different. 
     Someone on Reddit said, "...it’s truly like nothing else I’ve seen. It’s not just a slice of life drama or an escapism one, it shows life realistically and how tedious it can be. I remember being so confused during the first ep because so much was shown and expressed without a single word even being said. You can resonate with the characters, they all have their own issues and deal with it differently so some find it healing or depressing. The cinematography, strong characters and meaningful plot makes it worth watching in my opinion."
     That resonation hits me square in the chops, and I am not sure why.  Maybe it's because I do my fair share of wallowing now.  I mean, I always have, but for about 10 years now, it's a little over the top.  Even in that it's not so bad, though the last 3-5 years has left me looking for that light.  Time can't go fast enough, yet this will tide me over and keep me company until that light comes.  I am about 1/2 way through and fear I may break as the story expands or compresses.  As is the way, I know something will have to snap.



Comments

Popular Posts