Season is Called

 The summer is damn near over.  I feel like I accomplished nothing.  Part of it was on purpose - after a grueling school year, I want to do absolutely nothing.  I guess I got it done.  I was able to fly out to Vegas to see my bestie and fellow Earthdog; we hit 5 hand-pay jackpots while I was out there - totally insane.  I was able to get there and back with little fanfare.  

I had considered driving (other bestie was considering coming with, which was why I considered it all the more), but when he said he couldn't / wouldn't, I figured it would be expensive for gas and lodging.  The 400 bucks for the flight was cheaper than all that would have been.

I got to get in plenty of fishing, though not nearly as much as I want to (I really wish I could stay until we shut this place down for the winter).  On the 14th, when Jackfish Bay opened up, I absolutely crushed the walleyes in 3-5 feet of water.  They were there for at least another week.  And 3 weeks later, on the eastern end of Eagle Point, I had the largest walleye I've ever had on my line (I think).  Bad luck hit and it got away, but we stared at each other for a second or two - she knows I am looking for her.

The smoke from the wild fires has been horrific all summer long.  Some days, you can barely see Manotak.  And it has been so dry that everything seemed crispy.  We went looking for berries at the end of July, and didn't find any - but on inside intel from Don Moore, I went looking while everyone was gone and I found them!  CR Road!  Beth, Jay, and I just went out this morning (8.10.25) and in about an hour, we picked 3 full ice cream pails!  They're incredible out there.  I haven't seen berries like that in a long time.

This morning, I woke up at 4 am and assumed the worst.  The water in the cabin wasn't working and I couldn't figure out what was wrong.  I waited until everyone woke up to break the news, and then Jay and I went and figured out what it was - the joint in the pipe between the water line and the pump had come apart - weird.  But it was the best case of the whole worst case scenarios.  I am just glad I got up and went and turned the pump off.  It had been running on nothing and was pretty warm.

I suppose we got a lot of crap done this summer.  I just always wish I could do more.  Getting old sucks.  Everything hurts...just from sleeping.

Oh well.


Comments

Popular Posts