Sobaeksan

I traveled with a friend up to the mid north east part of the country.  We drove up HWY 12, which as it turned out was under construction a great amount of the way there.  Had it been in as good of shape as 55 was going north out of Daegu, we would have shaved at least an hour off our time.

We decided to stop once the sun was down and it was pretty much fully dark.  As we came around and down a hill, we saw what looked like a bigger city.  Lights we ablaze everywhere and there were plenty of brown signs (typically historical info signs that signal something groovy is near).  As it turned out, the "city" was quite small.

On wikipedia, it lists Punggi as 16,000 people, though it sure initially seemed bigger.  They were having a huge InSam (ginseng) festival and there were a *ton of people in town.  That coupled with the fact that there were only 3 or 4 motels in town (there was one really huge tourist hotel that we didn't even bother going to), there were no rooms.

After wandering around and taking some photos and eating some spicy chicken on a stick, we headed back to the car and headed for Yeongju.  This is a much bigger city (115,000 people or so), though it seemed bigger as well.

As it turned out, there were very few rooms available there as well.  We finally found an ondol room for 20k each.  While it was far from luxurious, it was acceptable, especially at the price.  The next morning we found the Huibang are entrance to Sobaeksan and began walking that.

It was reminiscent of Jirisan, though not nearly as vast, and the fall colors weren't out, though they were just beginning to show in some spots.  We hiked up to Huibangsa Falls which was really gorgeous.  From there, it wasn't much further to Huibangsa Temple.  It was less than I had hoped for, and in retrospect, I wish I would have gone to Buseoksa.

It had been so long since I had hiked or done anything that strenuous, so I was beat up tired early.  I wasn't really so tired, but I could feel that heading further up the 4kilometer mountain would be a little too taxing.  I think I likely could have made it no problem, but I had Guinsa temple on my mind.
I didn't know a lot about Guinsa, but I knew it was unique for Korea, and I knew that I wanted to get there for afternoon sun, and if we went up the mountain, we would have missed it for sure.

We made the decision to head back down the mountain and headed off for Danyang.  Danyang turned out to be a fantastic city.  Both beautiful and with really friendly people.  With the sun obviously close to leaving us for the day, we made our way to Guinsa (road signs and construction made us take a much longer road).

It is only unfortunate that we got there late, but fortuitous that we got there at all, because we were graced with what I think is the most impressive man made structure I've seen in Korea.  Guinsa was HUGE and bustling.  Even as we got there and as we were leaving, there were still people coming up the hill (and what a hill it was).

I will simply leave it at that and let what pictures I was able to get do the rest, but even that doesn't show the true scope.  It was impressive to say the least, and definitely a spot I would return to if given the chance.  A young couple in Danyang told me the are was most beautiful in winter.  Perhaps I can make that trip.














































































Comments

  1. Jeff,
    Pictures are fantastic as always! Love to see the pictures that you post and the adventures that you go on. Glad you have a car to travel places and see such wonderful sites. Take care friend! Vickster

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vicki! I am *so much happier in my new setting than I was on the island. The car certainly helps, but there are infinitely more things to see and do, and I am so much closer to the rest of the country.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts