Whatever You Do, Drink the Water?
Fridays are typically a good day for me here in Korea. I come to a fantastic little village where everything seems the way it should be. It stands out in every aspect compared to the rest of what I've seen in Korea. Maybe it's just me being overly romantic about it, which I can tend to do.
Romance in the literal sense from the days of Shelley, Byron, and Coleridge, being that there is a greater importance in life than the general malaise that can tend to cauterize us all.
Here, though, the bank is super efficient; they took my liquor container full of change, dumped it in their hopper, and within minutes, handed me 231,000 won. No skittering around like crabs on a beach, or looking like confused creatures that had never seen coins before.
I paid a bill on the atm, but another one, the one for my yearly car taxes, wouldn't pay, and the lady helped me do it very quickly, hitting a different button - it was maybe a "government" bill so it didn't go through the same as the internet company.
The post office is without equal. Seosan's was maybe just as good, but that was a bigger city and I would expect them to be more capable in more varied situations. Sapyeong didn't inspire confidence in any transaction. Dongbok, however, rocks them all.
The fellow teachers here are amazing and friendly. The students are exceptional. I think I actually see growth in abilities in these kids. Overall, I think it's that they seem quite fearless across the board. They're willing to try and to make the mistakes necessary and that, I think, especially in learning a language, is what it takes.
I don't know. I am excited to see what the U.S. can do for me again, but I fear the transition, because from the time I land on a Friday night, until I begin work on Monday morning, I need to obtain a car and a place to live, and I just don't know how I am going to do it all.
Part of me wishes I could just stay here in Dongbok and grow chili peppers and mushrooms. And I don't know if it's the water that makes everything seem to run so smoothly here, but I'd certainly try drinking it. Something works.
Romance in the literal sense from the days of Shelley, Byron, and Coleridge, being that there is a greater importance in life than the general malaise that can tend to cauterize us all.
Here, though, the bank is super efficient; they took my liquor container full of change, dumped it in their hopper, and within minutes, handed me 231,000 won. No skittering around like crabs on a beach, or looking like confused creatures that had never seen coins before.
I paid a bill on the atm, but another one, the one for my yearly car taxes, wouldn't pay, and the lady helped me do it very quickly, hitting a different button - it was maybe a "government" bill so it didn't go through the same as the internet company.
The post office is without equal. Seosan's was maybe just as good, but that was a bigger city and I would expect them to be more capable in more varied situations. Sapyeong didn't inspire confidence in any transaction. Dongbok, however, rocks them all.
The fellow teachers here are amazing and friendly. The students are exceptional. I think I actually see growth in abilities in these kids. Overall, I think it's that they seem quite fearless across the board. They're willing to try and to make the mistakes necessary and that, I think, especially in learning a language, is what it takes.
I don't know. I am excited to see what the U.S. can do for me again, but I fear the transition, because from the time I land on a Friday night, until I begin work on Monday morning, I need to obtain a car and a place to live, and I just don't know how I am going to do it all.
Part of me wishes I could just stay here in Dongbok and grow chili peppers and mushrooms. And I don't know if it's the water that makes everything seem to run so smoothly here, but I'd certainly try drinking it. Something works.
Comments
Post a Comment