The Reality Check is in the Mail
I am pretty sure I shouldn't be working where I am working. I feel like I am completely in opposition to so many of the things here, vocationally. Teaching, I feel should be a little bit more about the exchange of ideas and information as students build their broader base of knowledge. Unfortunately here in this particular facility, that's kind of a no-no, and I have a difficult time with that. It's just another aspect of the 'I gotta be me", thing.
ESL should specifically be about working in the language in all four domains, ideally in a paired or group context. Here that is all but impossible. In that case, I am the other half of the pair, but even though I will fill that role, I often can't due to issues with the class space, room availability, or if the student is even here.
Part of me thinks this would be the best place to work because of the lack of behavioral issues, but the other thinks it is so cloistered that I will just continue to step on people's toes. It's been a while since I felt so out of step with co-workers on issues related to work. I am unsure if it's because I am not used to it or they are too used to it. Then again having an English teacher tell you a sentence should have a comma because it has a prepositional phrase (when it didn't even contain a preposition) is enough to make you scratch your head. Either way, I think I know why the majority of teachers quit in the first 3-5 years.
ESL should specifically be about working in the language in all four domains, ideally in a paired or group context. Here that is all but impossible. In that case, I am the other half of the pair, but even though I will fill that role, I often can't due to issues with the class space, room availability, or if the student is even here.
Part of me thinks this would be the best place to work because of the lack of behavioral issues, but the other thinks it is so cloistered that I will just continue to step on people's toes. It's been a while since I felt so out of step with co-workers on issues related to work. I am unsure if it's because I am not used to it or they are too used to it. Then again having an English teacher tell you a sentence should have a comma because it has a prepositional phrase (when it didn't even contain a preposition) is enough to make you scratch your head. Either way, I think I know why the majority of teachers quit in the first 3-5 years.
Comments
Post a Comment