Asylum
I feel like all I do is complain. Living in this particular location and dealing with the adversities I have had to deal with has been a struggle. There's been some strange goings on, especially compared to my last tenure in Korea. I feel like whatever powers that be have conspired against me ever since last May or June.
Today, however, set that feeling in stone. I am reeling and am trying to determine my next course of action. If all of my things were easily packed I would maybe be gone tonight. But I still have bills to pay.
I was at my apartment for lunch. I live on the grounds of the Middle School and High School here on Imjado Island, so I walked back to my apartment for lunch. As I went, the two dogs that belong to my neighbor found me (as usual) and walked back to my apartment with me. I went inside and they went off and did whatever they did.
As I was eating my grapefruit, a shotgun blast rang out just outside my door. Two? I don't remember. I just knew it was a gun. I walked out onto my balcony and looked down and a little to my right. There was a man with an over/under double barrel shotgun with the gun opened to reveal two slugs. Was he reloading?
Looking to my left I see the female dog convulsing, with a pool of blood and tissue expanding under her neck and head.
"What the FUCK?" I yelled.
The man with the shotgun just looked up at me, turned, and began walking away.
Another man, taller, with no expression, tried to say something in Korean. I didn't understand.
"What the fuck!?" I yelled again, this time beginning to shake as I looked back and forth between the assholes below me and the dog as it quickly died.
The man with the shotgun returned and I repeated the question yet again. He pointed at the dog and then drew a finger across his neck, an expression of anger stretched across his face.
I am in shock. I am shaking. I run back in and grab my camera. I return and take pictures as the taller man drags the body away. I am back in my apartment. Pacing. I call the one Korean that I know is somewhere around and can speak English a little. He answers. He's in the apartment below me. He doesn't know what the shot is. He didn't check. How do you not check what the sound of a shotgun blast outside your door in Korea is?
I tell him what happened. He's going to look. I still can't believe what's happening.
The dog that ran after the shots returns to my door. I hear the scraping on my door that I always hear at night when they want somewhere warm to sleep. I run to the door and begin to open it. The dog is covered with blood. I don't let him in. They're looking for him, he's bloody and perhaps dying. I am failing him.
He scratches one more time. I hear voices. They've returned for him. After a minute he begins to scream as they drag him away. I am crying. I have failed him. At least they didn't shoot him ON my door.
I slowly open my door after the commotion has abated. I am faced with the ultimate reminder. This is a fucking madhouse.
Today, however, set that feeling in stone. I am reeling and am trying to determine my next course of action. If all of my things were easily packed I would maybe be gone tonight. But I still have bills to pay.
I was at my apartment for lunch. I live on the grounds of the Middle School and High School here on Imjado Island, so I walked back to my apartment for lunch. As I went, the two dogs that belong to my neighbor found me (as usual) and walked back to my apartment with me. I went inside and they went off and did whatever they did.
As I was eating my grapefruit, a shotgun blast rang out just outside my door. Two? I don't remember. I just knew it was a gun. I walked out onto my balcony and looked down and a little to my right. There was a man with an over/under double barrel shotgun with the gun opened to reveal two slugs. Was he reloading?
Looking to my left I see the female dog convulsing, with a pool of blood and tissue expanding under her neck and head.
"What the FUCK?" I yelled.
The man with the shotgun just looked up at me, turned, and began walking away.
Another man, taller, with no expression, tried to say something in Korean. I didn't understand.
"What the fuck!?" I yelled again, this time beginning to shake as I looked back and forth between the assholes below me and the dog as it quickly died.
The man with the shotgun returned and I repeated the question yet again. He pointed at the dog and then drew a finger across his neck, an expression of anger stretched across his face.
I am in shock. I am shaking. I run back in and grab my camera. I return and take pictures as the taller man drags the body away. I am back in my apartment. Pacing. I call the one Korean that I know is somewhere around and can speak English a little. He answers. He's in the apartment below me. He doesn't know what the shot is. He didn't check. How do you not check what the sound of a shotgun blast outside your door in Korea is?
I tell him what happened. He's going to look. I still can't believe what's happening.
The dog that ran after the shots returns to my door. I hear the scraping on my door that I always hear at night when they want somewhere warm to sleep. I run to the door and begin to open it. The dog is covered with blood. I don't let him in. They're looking for him, he's bloody and perhaps dying. I am failing him.
He scratches one more time. I hear voices. They've returned for him. After a minute he begins to scream as they drag him away. I am crying. I have failed him. At least they didn't shoot him ON my door.
I slowly open my door after the commotion has abated. I am faced with the ultimate reminder. This is a fucking madhouse.
I took this picture before I left for school at about 8:40 a.m. The smog has been oppressive as of late and it was already upon us this morning. Little did I know what kind of a shitty day I was to prepare for.






Comments
Post a Comment