Countdown
And so it begins:
Camp went well, I think. The students had fun and we got to cook and eat many things they either enjoy or have never had before. We cooked:
Baked Chicken
Squash
Fajitas
Pork Tenderloin (made into sandwiches)
Peanut Butter Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies
and perhaps their favorite, pizza.
It seems like there was more, but I just don't currently remember.
One of the best things that worked well as a lesson within the whole ordeal of cooking was getting the students to use "these, those, this, that" in complete sentences. At one point, they all had an item in front of them and they'd say, "these are red peppers", (and point to someone else and say), "and those are onions." For many of them, they had not been able to say full sentences before (mostly 3rd and 4th graders learning English) and they did a great job.
One of the things that didn't go so well was the learning of the U.S. States. It worked much better for my high school students in Seosan, but here, I think the students are too young and too low in their level. I should have broken it up into sections of 7-10 states by regions as the whole thing was too difficult. That being said, they knew nothing except for Hawaii when we began and after the first round, they knew about 12 states. (all as a group) So it wasn't a complete failure...and I didn't go back to it, so who knows how they would have done if we revisited it.
Ultimately the most difficult part was that the students levels were so low (generally speaking - there were 2 guys that are 5th graders that are amazing) and so varied, that I had to get rid of my initial plan after the first day. But it ended up working well.
While they enjoyed eating the pizza (who doesn't), I think they were shocked and really happy with the fajitas. They were a little messy, but over-all, it was delicious - they loved the ranch dressing.
So now, as it is somewhat typical here in the land of the morning calm, my schedule was sprung upon me. I had been told over and over about the "second vacation" and assumed I'd have lots of time on my hands. I am glad I didn't plan anything, because last night at about 9 pm, my co-teacher informed me that I would be desk warming for the next 2 weeks. Of course she clarified that she forgot to tell me because she forgot "because she hadn't seen me that day" - as if the last month we hadn't seen each other.
I don't mind, I guess, because I can get (some) planning done, but for grade 2 middle school it will be difficult. We're getting new textbooks for that grade and I won't get them until school begins. For grades 3 and 4 elementary we're getting new books, and I just got them Wednesday, so I will begin doing plans with them.
So here is to organizing and getting ducks in a row.
And here are some photos from the last month or so...pretty dull.
Camp went well, I think. The students had fun and we got to cook and eat many things they either enjoy or have never had before. We cooked:
Baked Chicken
Squash
Fajitas
Pork Tenderloin (made into sandwiches)
Peanut Butter Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies
and perhaps their favorite, pizza.
It seems like there was more, but I just don't currently remember.
One of the best things that worked well as a lesson within the whole ordeal of cooking was getting the students to use "these, those, this, that" in complete sentences. At one point, they all had an item in front of them and they'd say, "these are red peppers", (and point to someone else and say), "and those are onions." For many of them, they had not been able to say full sentences before (mostly 3rd and 4th graders learning English) and they did a great job.
One of the things that didn't go so well was the learning of the U.S. States. It worked much better for my high school students in Seosan, but here, I think the students are too young and too low in their level. I should have broken it up into sections of 7-10 states by regions as the whole thing was too difficult. That being said, they knew nothing except for Hawaii when we began and after the first round, they knew about 12 states. (all as a group) So it wasn't a complete failure...and I didn't go back to it, so who knows how they would have done if we revisited it.
Ultimately the most difficult part was that the students levels were so low (generally speaking - there were 2 guys that are 5th graders that are amazing) and so varied, that I had to get rid of my initial plan after the first day. But it ended up working well.
While they enjoyed eating the pizza (who doesn't), I think they were shocked and really happy with the fajitas. They were a little messy, but over-all, it was delicious - they loved the ranch dressing.
So now, as it is somewhat typical here in the land of the morning calm, my schedule was sprung upon me. I had been told over and over about the "second vacation" and assumed I'd have lots of time on my hands. I am glad I didn't plan anything, because last night at about 9 pm, my co-teacher informed me that I would be desk warming for the next 2 weeks. Of course she clarified that she forgot to tell me because she forgot "because she hadn't seen me that day" - as if the last month we hadn't seen each other.
I don't mind, I guess, because I can get (some) planning done, but for grade 2 middle school it will be difficult. We're getting new textbooks for that grade and I won't get them until school begins. For grades 3 and 4 elementary we're getting new books, and I just got them Wednesday, so I will begin doing plans with them.
So here is to organizing and getting ducks in a row.
And here are some photos from the last month or so...pretty dull.
And I am unsure if I ever posted these anywhere (I probably did...alzheimers is setting in), but here are some photos from September, when this island still seemed a bit of a mystery to me.










.jpg)












Comments
Post a Comment