Gifts (and re-gifting)
Due to leaving Imja and not wanting to cart the world with me, I have told my co-teacher that I would give him my oven. I had purchased it (with his help) about 10 or 11 months ago, and I certainly got good use out of it.
I made pizzas for myself when I was horribly depressed, and pizzas for students on odd days where I didn't have to teach anything serious. I used it to cook pork tenderloins, chickens, and an old favorite from a Canadian friend, bannock. The students in my winter and summer camps love it because we made all of those things and more...peanut-butter cookies and chocolate chip cookies.
I gave it to him rather than selling it because he helped me in so many ways, far more than my actual co-teacher did. As I leave, I think I realize she just doesn't really know what she's doing concerning native teachers. Perhaps none of them do. I am confident (as was my supervisor through the Jeolla Language Program) that she got the vacation thing wrong. I will ask when I get where I am going, as I've heard she is the real deal.
And this morning she told me I wouldn't be getting my exit allowance. I do, but it's not called that. I get the 2 million won, which is my exit allowance of 1.3 million, plus a re-signing bonus of 700,000. While I thought I got it tomorrow, my last payday with them, I found out I get it "some time within a month". She said I didn't get it at all. When I told her I thought she was wrong, she began the Korean chatter. I showed her the sections in the contract. The chatter stopped.
So my oven was going to my elementary co-teacher, and he deserves it. Though when I dropped it off at his house last night, he said, "Jeff, my sister in law *really wants this oven. Can we take it over there?" I just got re-gifted...or is that considered, "Indian re-gifted" right up in my greel. The re-gifting was all up in there. And I don't care.
I don't care, because tomorrow is my birthday. I am not a huge fan of them anymore, but this one might be ok. I am giving myself one of the best gifts I have ever given myself, the completion of my contract and the getting of the fuck off this sand blasted island. Happy fucking birthday to me.
Comments
Post a Comment