More Old Work
Here is a poem I had written during or for the Northwoods Writer's Conference in or around 2003 or 2004. While I have always liked it (it was inspired by an odd memory of my childhood in a dying or dwindling Canadian town) in reading it now, I still like it but think it needs a little work.
The professional writer I was in charge of working with and for during the conference that year said he really like the ambiguity at the end of the piece and said there was something really "interesting in there".
Nowheresville
A house once stood there,
but now
like a can of soup,
basement and contents
opened, exposed,
and long since eaten
As a visitor,
I wandered to this spot,
because a kid my age
always finds a place
like this.
I saw a local kid
from this dying town
same age as me
dwindling
Down.
And watched as he threw bricks
at a cat
wishing, from time to time
that cat could run
but he was unable
to escape
just like him
The professional writer I was in charge of working with and for during the conference that year said he really like the ambiguity at the end of the piece and said there was something really "interesting in there".
Nowheresville
A house once stood there,
but now
like a can of soup,
basement and contents
opened, exposed,
and long since eaten
As a visitor,
I wandered to this spot,
because a kid my age
always finds a place
like this.
I saw a local kid
from this dying town
same age as me
dwindling
Down.
And watched as he threw bricks
at a cat
wishing, from time to time
that cat could run
but he was unable
to escape
just like him
Comments
Post a Comment