China: Seventieth Anniversary
Beijing is gearing up for the 70th Anniversary of the Chinese Republic. Since I returned in late August, military aircraft have been buzzing through the skies. That didn't happen for my first year here.
Evidently they've been driving huge military hardware on the highways, staging them closer to the 'show' area, wherever that may be. I saw a short clip of it on the internet, taken from a variety of peoples' cell phones.
I'd love to see the spectacle close up, but think that the crowds would be so oppressive it would simply be a miserable day. But I know many of the people are excited - certainly the younger ones are. And many of my students have been gone from classes the first few weeks due to prepping...something. Who knows what.
All I know is that a friend wasn't able to place an order for some shaving equipment (like Mach 3 type razors), because they "can't ship dangerous things like this to Beijing at this time." That makes me think that we'll be having internet hell here very soon. I experienced that in early October last year, when they were having some form of meetings at the politburo or whatever...and so the net was furiously blocked for many sites, plus my school's net was out, so I was fuct, anyway.
Either way, I think I am looking at basically sleeping for a week, beginning on the 1st of October. For that I am both excited and depressed. Sigh.
Evidently they've been driving huge military hardware on the highways, staging them closer to the 'show' area, wherever that may be. I saw a short clip of it on the internet, taken from a variety of peoples' cell phones.
I'd love to see the spectacle close up, but think that the crowds would be so oppressive it would simply be a miserable day. But I know many of the people are excited - certainly the younger ones are. And many of my students have been gone from classes the first few weeks due to prepping...something. Who knows what.
All I know is that a friend wasn't able to place an order for some shaving equipment (like Mach 3 type razors), because they "can't ship dangerous things like this to Beijing at this time." That makes me think that we'll be having internet hell here very soon. I experienced that in early October last year, when they were having some form of meetings at the politburo or whatever...and so the net was furiously blocked for many sites, plus my school's net was out, so I was fuct, anyway.
Either way, I think I am looking at basically sleeping for a week, beginning on the 1st of October. For that I am both excited and depressed. Sigh.
Comments
Post a Comment