What To Say When the Ducks Show Up
I don't know why I thought of Steve Martin this morning when it dawned on me I will have to speak to (email) the person who comes after me. It's a difficult conundrum. While I can't stay here another year because I think I would die, it's not that it isn't doable. So this, as long as I have the morning free here at school, is to the lucky soul that comes after me.
There are just some exceptional challenges, and in hindsight, there might be some ways to combat those challenges.
Concerning the schedule:
You're at the mercy of the schedule, however, your elementary co-teacher is a gem and can really help you with the elementary lessons if you need help, if you need a break, or if you need materials. He often told me once I lamented the difficulty I was having, that he could give me materials to use. I rarely had to use this, but it's nice to know he could do that. I didn't at all get that kind of reciprocity with my other classes. (And that's not to say they weren't helpful in the other classes - I greatly appreciate all the hard work that all of my co-teachers did on my behalf...but especially, my elementary guy, Go Yong Han.)
They eventually basically quit asking me to attend dinners. I had no time to do it anyway, so after the new semester began, I always politely refused. Teaching 7 or 8 classes on Wednesday and then almost as many again on Thursday meant that I got no prep time on those days, which means that I am prepping those nights, the nights when they do sports activities and dinners as a group.
And I never found out what I needed to teach for Wednesday and Thursday until Tuesday evening, so I was up late preparing for those days after school as well. Ultimately, I was kind of held hostage my my schedule, and it only got worse once the second semester hit.
If possible, make note of it and tell your co-teachers the problems this creates, and they will likely work with you to alleviate it a bit (maybe?). I got the feeling that the majority of the teachers didn't give two shits about me (the previous teacher said he felt the same way), so perhaps it's just their manner.
Concerning that, I sometimes felt that way in Chungnam, with some weeks feeling like my very presence was celebrated, and others, that they simply wished I didn't exist. I could never tell which attitude I was going to get, but I usually got one or the other for an extended period before it switched to the other for a time. It must just be the way.
Concerning isolation:
I made the mistake of trying to make it to Gwangju for the first 6 months I was here, when in fact what I should have been doing was making runs to Mokpo. Gwangju may ultimately have more to offer, but it's likely more difficult to get around and it's just so god damned far when using the bus. If I'd had a car, it'd be an hour trip, just over with the ferry trip (of course that too must be timed, somewhat, or you're waiting). The bus to Gwangju rarely if ever takes less than 2.5 hours, and I've had it take as much as almost 4. By the way the crow flies, it's about 42 miles away. But because it has to wind through the peninsula and stop at every dog and pony show along the way, it takes forever.
The bus to Mokpo takes about 1 hour (not including ferry time) and maybe, you'll have to stop in Muan for a little bit. It might add a little extra time stopping in Muan for as much as 5 minutes, but usually, you're looking at about an hour; hour and twenty minutes max. I should have done this right away. In Gwangju, you land at the terminal and you're basically right next to a bunch of restaurants, the Shinsigae Dept Store, with EMart and Kumhoe World just a block and a half away. Mokpo, you have to walk for 10-20 minutes to get to either EMart or Home Plus, but it's all good...especially if the weather cooperates. The walk to the Homeplus is actually quite nice if you take the park trail (on the other side of the street from the Bus Terminal and to your right a couple blocks when you exit). The Emart is basically straight ahead out the terminal doors about an 8 minute walk , but you need to veer to your right to get across the first highway, then veer back left and straight.
Another bonus about Mokpo is that within a couple of blocks, there are adequate hotels. They're nothing fancy, but for 35k, they are clean enough. Much closer to emart (kind of nearer emart but between it and the bus terminal) are some others in the same price range. I recently stayed at one that was 35 and was *very nice. But you're looking at a 7-10 minute walk from the terminal rather than a 2 minute walk. It's up to you. As for Gwangju and hotels, I really have no idea. I am sure they are everywhere, but never really explored it to that degree due to lack of time from bus times.
My ultimate advice is to get a car. The process (depending upon where you are from) might take a month and some money, but your happiness would exponentially increase. If not, perhaps a scooter for Imja only? At the very least, buy a bike? I would have, but there was a long stretch where I was furiously paying off last year's University classes so I never left myself extra money. A car would have made things *much better, on or off the island. It equals freedom.
Exercise:
I was walking every night after dinner and on the weekends, even going to Gurye twice and climbing Nogodan, a brutal, but beautiful course. That is, until winter hit. It wasn't so cold. Hell, it's nowhere near Minnesota cold...but the wind. Oh my god, the wind. It just kept coming. Some nights literally rattling my windows and doors like someone, or something, was trying to get in.
I walked in it a few times and it was simply ridiculous. Sand blasting into my eyes, nose, and mouth, and the wind sometimes so strong it could almost knock me over. Insane. My tiny little co-teacher used to walk with her fellow teachers as well, and she said she stopped due to that as well.
The roads are flat and generally in good repair. Go ahead and walk where ever you see a road / path. I was told there are wild pigs (there's a sign saying so on the way to Eheukam-ri). The only thing I ever say was a gwong (pheasant).
You may be able to work out in the school gym, but there's not a lot to do / equipment. There's usually groups of people doing things in there - i.e. I think community based organized activities like badminton, etc. I was never invited to, and the isolation grew.
You might want to look into using Imja Cho's gym. It's close, and they had some treadmills. I didn't discover this until the thaw. But I am unsure how you could get in and out...unless they keep it open for teachers until a certain time.
I am sure some of my feeling of isolation and not feeling at all part of the school among the other teachers is due to gaining weight. I think the vanity of the culture shows it's true nature concerning issues like this, and while it sucks, I guess I really feel bad for any Korean that is over-weight. There are a few, though not many, but I think they must be pressured constantly over this issue - maybe I am wrong.
Around Imja:
There are 4 "mountains" to climb, though they aren't much. Beongsan is close to Daegwang Beach and is pretty easy to climb (they all are). It offers a nice view of the beach and the island back to the north and a little east. There's a nice little pagoda / sitting place at the top if you wanted to bring some food up and relax. You can get up there by going through the little village (Hwaesan?) or by going nearly to the beach, taking a left on the road, and just past the Imja Pension, the road splits, take the left part and a hundred yards up is the start of the sandy trail. Easy peasy.
No matter where you go, check yourself for ticks afterward. I didn't have any, but the neighbor's dogs were constantly covered with them, even in January and February.
Daedunsan is the tallest one, and by that fat, the most challenging. It's still not very challenging, but at some points, just steep. At the top is a little platform, which is just kind of meh, but at least it's something. The view, however, is pretty great, looking to the East, South East and South. I guess you can see a bit to the North, but most of that and the island is kind of obscured by ridges. Either way, it's a climb that is quite nice. Explaing how to get up (where to start) is kind of difficult.
You can get there by starting right behind a little patch of houses to the south of Imja Nam Cho (still probably a mile away from the school, so it's a trek), or you could start over near Yong Nan Gul Beach or EunDong-ri. There are a few trail access points over there, though I don't know how nice they are. I came down on that side, but came down to a minimal road, and then had to walk toward the beach to get down, to go around and then walk to Eheukam-ri. No matter how you slice it, it's a trek.
JunJang Po is on the northern tip, and it's just kind of meh. I hiked up there (long way, about 6 or 7 miles up from the middle school. There are some unimpressive caves up there (as well as Yong Nan Gul beach to the south)
I have heard that Jeung-do, which is a peninsula or island just to our south (connected by a bridge) is pretty impressive, though I've never been there. Had I bought a car or a bike, I would have maybe ventured there...though like I said, once the winds came, I stopped all outdoor activities, and once the schedule changes, I was fuct.
As for restaurants, there are many, but most require more than one person. It's for that reason I stick basically to two, with a third on standby. Wooga is my go to. As you walk back toward the ferry, just before you get to the NH grocery store, on your left is a little restaurant. Their bibimbap is as good as I have had in Korea and their galbitong is the best I've ever had. They're fun and nice people. I will miss them.
Dae Ahn Bahn Jeom is near the school, in the opposite direction - toward Imja Nam Cho. It's a Chinese place, and it's okay. I order there Sam Seon Jjampong, Sam Seon Bokeumbap, and Sam Seon Gan JjaJjang. Ultimately I eat there for variety and because it's close, otherwise I'd eat at Wooga all the time. The third is actually fantastic, but you need at least 2 people (or so they say - I'd order a double if required), is MaNa. They offer so many sides with their galbi, so it's required to have 2 people, but they also have single dishes like bibimbap, et al. This might be the best restaurant on the island, but being alone...
There are many Hwae restaurants (raw fish), and being a fishing island you'd think seafood would be cheap. No. It's ridiculously expensive, like 100 dollars per expensive, so I don't even consider it.
There's a restaurant near the beach that the school has gone to a couple times. I have blocked the name out of my head. At a school dinner my wallet was stolen. The co-teacher said, "It couldn't have been the teachers. We're teachers." So it was the restaurant staff - and yet they go back there. Not I.
Deok Sarang (Chicken Love) is okay, but seemed expensive to me. Both times, the school had the same thing...and I found it to be very average...
Your Apartment:
Generally speaking, it's alright. A bit moldy and stuff when I moved in, even though it had *just been remodeled...literally. I slept in a dungeon for the 1st 3 weeks when I moved here so it could be finished.
Everything is generally easy peasy, with the only thing I would say needs noting is the cost of oil. You have to buy the heating oil to heat the water to either take a shower or keep your bones warm in the winter.
I kept the thermostat at a balmy 19c most of the winter, and even at that low temp, I had to refill with a barrel of oil 4 times. It didn't help that it was basically empty when I got here. I expect it will happen to you too.
So in using it to heat water for a shower, it ran out of oil right away, mid September. Then, the wind hit and the temps dropped. I probably filled it with a barrel of oil (260,000 won) in late October. Then the temps *really dropped (like I said, it wasn't so cold...but the wind!) and I had to add another thing of oil at the beginning of December (or mid). And then another at the start of February...and then just when I thought I'd get through...around the middle of April.
So that was like 1,000,000 won I spent. Electric cost was like 5k per month. Nothing. Though I wonder what the AC will do to that in the summer. I have turned it on and off for 10-20 minutes at a time so far this spring / summer, but it's not even blistering yet. I will do my best to keep that at a minimum...but I know Korean summers and the humidity. Really, if you budget 110,000 won per month for these things total, nothing should be surprising. If you put 100,000 won aside every month, you won't be shocked when you have to refill that tank.
Concerning cooking gas (propane), I cooked a fair amount, yet the tank has never run dry. I expect it will either go right before I leave, or sometimes shortly after you arrive, which may lead to...
The Bonnie Situation:
If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you two guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car.
Substitute the word Bonnie for the word computer.
Basically, the single recurring thing that caused me most grief (I think), is the computer situation. The computer in the teacher's room at your main school is suspect at best. This is the 3rd or 4th computer I've had since I've been here. They re-configured 2 of them, and outright switched the others. I've had them stop working at critical moments, right before classes, once, taking all my work on my USB with it.
My very first day on the job I had the computer stop working, thereby not allowing me to print or use any of the things I prepared. One of the Korean teachers was telling me to calm down, and all the while I wanted to punch them in the throat - it wasn't their day that was fucking up BIG time.
My advice. Save your material in multiple places, and if you can, put it in the cloud, on email to yourself, or where ever else you might be able to access it. And for the love of Jeremiah, print whatever shit you can whenever you can. A working printer on this island might just qualify as an event worthy of getting an investigation of true divine intervention going.
The computers, to differing degrees, but across the board at every school here on the island, absolutely blow.
Period.
The printers are even worse.
I have *never, *ever, everevereverever seen anything like it.
Ever.
The students:
They are the one redeeming feature. I adore them. Nearly all of them. There are 3 or so boys in the middle school that can make life a little interesting as a teacher, but even they are tame by U.S. trouble making standards. The fact that they are in trouble nearly *every day is kind of dumbfounding, but the other teachers have to deal with them on a daily basis. You don't.
My elementary students, especially Imja Nam Cho, are just fun from top to bottom. Most of them are low level, though there are a few that will surprise you. One fifth grade girl lived in the U.S. for 2 and a half years (she just arrived back in Korea at the start of this year) and is pressingly close to fluent - she just needs to keep on it, keep speaking, keep working vocabulary. She'll be a star - but I will miss them all.
Below, a visual representation of how adorable the students at Imja Nam Cho are.
Imja Cho has many great students as well, perhaps more at a higher level, though maybe due to class size, it seems more difficult. But they're great. Once the 3 boys left for middle school, that elementary school became much more fun to teach.
Your high schoolers are fun. There's one lower level class that drives me a little crazy sometimes, but they're in high school...it's a forced EFL class, and they're entitled to be who they are if only because their lives have effectively been stolen by a society that is little by little forcing different shapes into different shaped holes. The current first grade is all gems, with the small class sizes, and both being really fun. The girls are awesome just because, and the other class, with "Mountain Man", is pretty great, too.
Your biggest 2nd grade class is full of win.
Ultimately, while I encountered difficulties that were at some times almost overwhelming for me, the students nearly kept me here for another year - I like them that much. And the thing is, being that they *live here, they have a much better support system in place for being able to do things, etc. Which leads me to remind you to head to Mokpo, as much as once a week.
Over all:
I don't want to give who ever comes after me the impression that this is an impossible deal to complete. There are simply challenges that you must find a way to meet and beat.
Knowing what is ahead of you and how to best combat it is a step up, one I didn't have. I made mistakes in going to Gwangju instead of Mokpo which wasted a lot of time and left me high and dry all the while - it turned out most of the people I knew from orientation were in Mokpo, and after having not seen or talked to another native English speaker for the first 6 months here, it was a welcome respite meeting someone face to face. It made me realize for me what never seemed important - people. (I always felt like they drove me crazy, and while they do, that's my own fears working on me.)
You can do this. Keep yourself in the loop with friends, using skype for back home if you have to, and get off the island when you can. While further travel into the belly of Korea is difficult due to time and isolation, you can still get off the island and go see people in Mokpo or Naju with relative ease.
Aloha.
There are just some exceptional challenges, and in hindsight, there might be some ways to combat those challenges.
Concerning the schedule:
You're at the mercy of the schedule, however, your elementary co-teacher is a gem and can really help you with the elementary lessons if you need help, if you need a break, or if you need materials. He often told me once I lamented the difficulty I was having, that he could give me materials to use. I rarely had to use this, but it's nice to know he could do that. I didn't at all get that kind of reciprocity with my other classes. (And that's not to say they weren't helpful in the other classes - I greatly appreciate all the hard work that all of my co-teachers did on my behalf...but especially, my elementary guy, Go Yong Han.)
They eventually basically quit asking me to attend dinners. I had no time to do it anyway, so after the new semester began, I always politely refused. Teaching 7 or 8 classes on Wednesday and then almost as many again on Thursday meant that I got no prep time on those days, which means that I am prepping those nights, the nights when they do sports activities and dinners as a group.
And I never found out what I needed to teach for Wednesday and Thursday until Tuesday evening, so I was up late preparing for those days after school as well. Ultimately, I was kind of held hostage my my schedule, and it only got worse once the second semester hit.
If possible, make note of it and tell your co-teachers the problems this creates, and they will likely work with you to alleviate it a bit (maybe?). I got the feeling that the majority of the teachers didn't give two shits about me (the previous teacher said he felt the same way), so perhaps it's just their manner.
Concerning that, I sometimes felt that way in Chungnam, with some weeks feeling like my very presence was celebrated, and others, that they simply wished I didn't exist. I could never tell which attitude I was going to get, but I usually got one or the other for an extended period before it switched to the other for a time. It must just be the way.
Concerning isolation:
I made the mistake of trying to make it to Gwangju for the first 6 months I was here, when in fact what I should have been doing was making runs to Mokpo. Gwangju may ultimately have more to offer, but it's likely more difficult to get around and it's just so god damned far when using the bus. If I'd had a car, it'd be an hour trip, just over with the ferry trip (of course that too must be timed, somewhat, or you're waiting). The bus to Gwangju rarely if ever takes less than 2.5 hours, and I've had it take as much as almost 4. By the way the crow flies, it's about 42 miles away. But because it has to wind through the peninsula and stop at every dog and pony show along the way, it takes forever.
The bus to Mokpo takes about 1 hour (not including ferry time) and maybe, you'll have to stop in Muan for a little bit. It might add a little extra time stopping in Muan for as much as 5 minutes, but usually, you're looking at about an hour; hour and twenty minutes max. I should have done this right away. In Gwangju, you land at the terminal and you're basically right next to a bunch of restaurants, the Shinsigae Dept Store, with EMart and Kumhoe World just a block and a half away. Mokpo, you have to walk for 10-20 minutes to get to either EMart or Home Plus, but it's all good...especially if the weather cooperates. The walk to the Homeplus is actually quite nice if you take the park trail (on the other side of the street from the Bus Terminal and to your right a couple blocks when you exit). The Emart is basically straight ahead out the terminal doors about an 8 minute walk , but you need to veer to your right to get across the first highway, then veer back left and straight.
Another bonus about Mokpo is that within a couple of blocks, there are adequate hotels. They're nothing fancy, but for 35k, they are clean enough. Much closer to emart (kind of nearer emart but between it and the bus terminal) are some others in the same price range. I recently stayed at one that was 35 and was *very nice. But you're looking at a 7-10 minute walk from the terminal rather than a 2 minute walk. It's up to you. As for Gwangju and hotels, I really have no idea. I am sure they are everywhere, but never really explored it to that degree due to lack of time from bus times.
My ultimate advice is to get a car. The process (depending upon where you are from) might take a month and some money, but your happiness would exponentially increase. If not, perhaps a scooter for Imja only? At the very least, buy a bike? I would have, but there was a long stretch where I was furiously paying off last year's University classes so I never left myself extra money. A car would have made things *much better, on or off the island. It equals freedom.
Exercise:
I was walking every night after dinner and on the weekends, even going to Gurye twice and climbing Nogodan, a brutal, but beautiful course. That is, until winter hit. It wasn't so cold. Hell, it's nowhere near Minnesota cold...but the wind. Oh my god, the wind. It just kept coming. Some nights literally rattling my windows and doors like someone, or something, was trying to get in.
I walked in it a few times and it was simply ridiculous. Sand blasting into my eyes, nose, and mouth, and the wind sometimes so strong it could almost knock me over. Insane. My tiny little co-teacher used to walk with her fellow teachers as well, and she said she stopped due to that as well.
The roads are flat and generally in good repair. Go ahead and walk where ever you see a road / path. I was told there are wild pigs (there's a sign saying so on the way to Eheukam-ri). The only thing I ever say was a gwong (pheasant).
You may be able to work out in the school gym, but there's not a lot to do / equipment. There's usually groups of people doing things in there - i.e. I think community based organized activities like badminton, etc. I was never invited to, and the isolation grew.
You might want to look into using Imja Cho's gym. It's close, and they had some treadmills. I didn't discover this until the thaw. But I am unsure how you could get in and out...unless they keep it open for teachers until a certain time.
I am sure some of my feeling of isolation and not feeling at all part of the school among the other teachers is due to gaining weight. I think the vanity of the culture shows it's true nature concerning issues like this, and while it sucks, I guess I really feel bad for any Korean that is over-weight. There are a few, though not many, but I think they must be pressured constantly over this issue - maybe I am wrong.
Around Imja:
There are 4 "mountains" to climb, though they aren't much. Beongsan is close to Daegwang Beach and is pretty easy to climb (they all are). It offers a nice view of the beach and the island back to the north and a little east. There's a nice little pagoda / sitting place at the top if you wanted to bring some food up and relax. You can get up there by going through the little village (Hwaesan?) or by going nearly to the beach, taking a left on the road, and just past the Imja Pension, the road splits, take the left part and a hundred yards up is the start of the sandy trail. Easy peasy.
No matter where you go, check yourself for ticks afterward. I didn't have any, but the neighbor's dogs were constantly covered with them, even in January and February.
Daedunsan is the tallest one, and by that fat, the most challenging. It's still not very challenging, but at some points, just steep. At the top is a little platform, which is just kind of meh, but at least it's something. The view, however, is pretty great, looking to the East, South East and South. I guess you can see a bit to the North, but most of that and the island is kind of obscured by ridges. Either way, it's a climb that is quite nice. Explaing how to get up (where to start) is kind of difficult.
You can get there by starting right behind a little patch of houses to the south of Imja Nam Cho (still probably a mile away from the school, so it's a trek), or you could start over near Yong Nan Gul Beach or EunDong-ri. There are a few trail access points over there, though I don't know how nice they are. I came down on that side, but came down to a minimal road, and then had to walk toward the beach to get down, to go around and then walk to Eheukam-ri. No matter how you slice it, it's a trek.
JunJang Po is on the northern tip, and it's just kind of meh. I hiked up there (long way, about 6 or 7 miles up from the middle school. There are some unimpressive caves up there (as well as Yong Nan Gul beach to the south)
I have heard that Jeung-do, which is a peninsula or island just to our south (connected by a bridge) is pretty impressive, though I've never been there. Had I bought a car or a bike, I would have maybe ventured there...though like I said, once the winds came, I stopped all outdoor activities, and once the schedule changes, I was fuct.
As for restaurants, there are many, but most require more than one person. It's for that reason I stick basically to two, with a third on standby. Wooga is my go to. As you walk back toward the ferry, just before you get to the NH grocery store, on your left is a little restaurant. Their bibimbap is as good as I have had in Korea and their galbitong is the best I've ever had. They're fun and nice people. I will miss them.
Dae Ahn Bahn Jeom is near the school, in the opposite direction - toward Imja Nam Cho. It's a Chinese place, and it's okay. I order there Sam Seon Jjampong, Sam Seon Bokeumbap, and Sam Seon Gan JjaJjang. Ultimately I eat there for variety and because it's close, otherwise I'd eat at Wooga all the time. The third is actually fantastic, but you need at least 2 people (or so they say - I'd order a double if required), is MaNa. They offer so many sides with their galbi, so it's required to have 2 people, but they also have single dishes like bibimbap, et al. This might be the best restaurant on the island, but being alone...
There are many Hwae restaurants (raw fish), and being a fishing island you'd think seafood would be cheap. No. It's ridiculously expensive, like 100 dollars per expensive, so I don't even consider it.
There's a restaurant near the beach that the school has gone to a couple times. I have blocked the name out of my head. At a school dinner my wallet was stolen. The co-teacher said, "It couldn't have been the teachers. We're teachers." So it was the restaurant staff - and yet they go back there. Not I.
Deok Sarang (Chicken Love) is okay, but seemed expensive to me. Both times, the school had the same thing...and I found it to be very average...
Your Apartment:
Generally speaking, it's alright. A bit moldy and stuff when I moved in, even though it had *just been remodeled...literally. I slept in a dungeon for the 1st 3 weeks when I moved here so it could be finished.
Everything is generally easy peasy, with the only thing I would say needs noting is the cost of oil. You have to buy the heating oil to heat the water to either take a shower or keep your bones warm in the winter.
I kept the thermostat at a balmy 19c most of the winter, and even at that low temp, I had to refill with a barrel of oil 4 times. It didn't help that it was basically empty when I got here. I expect it will happen to you too.
So in using it to heat water for a shower, it ran out of oil right away, mid September. Then, the wind hit and the temps dropped. I probably filled it with a barrel of oil (260,000 won) in late October. Then the temps *really dropped (like I said, it wasn't so cold...but the wind!) and I had to add another thing of oil at the beginning of December (or mid). And then another at the start of February...and then just when I thought I'd get through...around the middle of April.
So that was like 1,000,000 won I spent. Electric cost was like 5k per month. Nothing. Though I wonder what the AC will do to that in the summer. I have turned it on and off for 10-20 minutes at a time so far this spring / summer, but it's not even blistering yet. I will do my best to keep that at a minimum...but I know Korean summers and the humidity. Really, if you budget 110,000 won per month for these things total, nothing should be surprising. If you put 100,000 won aside every month, you won't be shocked when you have to refill that tank.
Concerning cooking gas (propane), I cooked a fair amount, yet the tank has never run dry. I expect it will either go right before I leave, or sometimes shortly after you arrive, which may lead to...
The Bonnie Situation:
If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you two guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car.
Substitute the word Bonnie for the word computer.
Basically, the single recurring thing that caused me most grief (I think), is the computer situation. The computer in the teacher's room at your main school is suspect at best. This is the 3rd or 4th computer I've had since I've been here. They re-configured 2 of them, and outright switched the others. I've had them stop working at critical moments, right before classes, once, taking all my work on my USB with it.
My very first day on the job I had the computer stop working, thereby not allowing me to print or use any of the things I prepared. One of the Korean teachers was telling me to calm down, and all the while I wanted to punch them in the throat - it wasn't their day that was fucking up BIG time.
My advice. Save your material in multiple places, and if you can, put it in the cloud, on email to yourself, or where ever else you might be able to access it. And for the love of Jeremiah, print whatever shit you can whenever you can. A working printer on this island might just qualify as an event worthy of getting an investigation of true divine intervention going.
The computers, to differing degrees, but across the board at every school here on the island, absolutely blow.
Period.
The printers are even worse.
I have *never, *ever, everevereverever seen anything like it.
Ever.
The students:
They are the one redeeming feature. I adore them. Nearly all of them. There are 3 or so boys in the middle school that can make life a little interesting as a teacher, but even they are tame by U.S. trouble making standards. The fact that they are in trouble nearly *every day is kind of dumbfounding, but the other teachers have to deal with them on a daily basis. You don't.
My elementary students, especially Imja Nam Cho, are just fun from top to bottom. Most of them are low level, though there are a few that will surprise you. One fifth grade girl lived in the U.S. for 2 and a half years (she just arrived back in Korea at the start of this year) and is pressingly close to fluent - she just needs to keep on it, keep speaking, keep working vocabulary. She'll be a star - but I will miss them all.
Below, a visual representation of how adorable the students at Imja Nam Cho are.
Imja Cho has many great students as well, perhaps more at a higher level, though maybe due to class size, it seems more difficult. But they're great. Once the 3 boys left for middle school, that elementary school became much more fun to teach.
Your high schoolers are fun. There's one lower level class that drives me a little crazy sometimes, but they're in high school...it's a forced EFL class, and they're entitled to be who they are if only because their lives have effectively been stolen by a society that is little by little forcing different shapes into different shaped holes. The current first grade is all gems, with the small class sizes, and both being really fun. The girls are awesome just because, and the other class, with "Mountain Man", is pretty great, too.
Your biggest 2nd grade class is full of win.
Ultimately, while I encountered difficulties that were at some times almost overwhelming for me, the students nearly kept me here for another year - I like them that much. And the thing is, being that they *live here, they have a much better support system in place for being able to do things, etc. Which leads me to remind you to head to Mokpo, as much as once a week.
Over all:
I don't want to give who ever comes after me the impression that this is an impossible deal to complete. There are simply challenges that you must find a way to meet and beat.
Knowing what is ahead of you and how to best combat it is a step up, one I didn't have. I made mistakes in going to Gwangju instead of Mokpo which wasted a lot of time and left me high and dry all the while - it turned out most of the people I knew from orientation were in Mokpo, and after having not seen or talked to another native English speaker for the first 6 months here, it was a welcome respite meeting someone face to face. It made me realize for me what never seemed important - people. (I always felt like they drove me crazy, and while they do, that's my own fears working on me.)
You can do this. Keep yourself in the loop with friends, using skype for back home if you have to, and get off the island when you can. While further travel into the belly of Korea is difficult due to time and isolation, you can still get off the island and go see people in Mokpo or Naju with relative ease.
Aloha.



Comments
Post a Comment