Let.Let.Let.up

I saw my Grade 1 students yesterday and did my opening with them.  They came walking in at the sound of the bell this morning, and I knew it was bad news.  I have the lesson prepared for them, but it wasn't set up, because I saw them yesterday and didn't think I'd have to see them today.  My co-teacher neglected to tell me.  As she reminded me, "the schedule is not set...yet, so I didn't know...", followed by a whispered, "Actually, I was a little bit late..."

So then she went through the chapters of the book, the titles, and gave me time to set up, and we went through what we were supposed to, but it still just drives me fucking nuts.  How in THE fuck are you supposed to plan anything when everything changes day to day?  I realize that as a teacher, you're supposed to think on your toes and be able to respond to a million little scenarios as they occur, but this is fucking ridiculous.

Last year at this school, I think there were a total of 2 days that the schedule wasn't changed.  It's criminal.  It shouldn't be allowed.  How students find any semblance of order...actually, I guess maybe that just explains a lot about Korea.  I really love many things about Korea, but this is one of them that I despise, and I have a hunch its repercussions resonate much deeper throughout the society than many people realize.

Maybe that's why they "work" longer hours, because they're constantly trying to correct little mishaps that occurred due to scheduling during the prior day and week.  I am beginning to feel I honestly don't belong anywhere, because I fear I am going to encounter this mentality everywhere I go, whether it's back home or here.  Maybe I should be been a shepherd in some far away place.

As an update, the grade 3 students (who I also saw yesterday) just came in thinking they had class, yet i was told grade 2 is during 4th period which is still 50 minutes away.  I fucking hate this school and its complete disorganized bullshit.  I don't think I could stay here another year.  If I stay, it's because I will get Nancy's job at the higher level high school.  That's sad and disappointing, because I really like the students, but this is just plain nuts.

Comments

Popular Posts